Today, we are going to create a mixed media journal page using non-traditional colors in lilac, red blue and gold. We will also use the 'Acrylic and Alcohol Technique' to create a cool background.
Time: 1 hour + dry time.
Level: Immediate to Advanced
1. Apply good metallic acrylic paint to the page. Let dry. Place a crackle stencil over the page and sponge with StazOn Azure ink. Let dry.
2. Place the mini bricks stencil on the journal page and spray with Walnut Lilac. Let Dry. Place the small hole stencil on the journal page and sponge with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. Set aside to dry.
3. Cut four - ½ x 4 1/4 inches out of white cardstock. Cut additional pieces of white cardstock: ¼ × 4 ¼, 2 x 3 inches and a scrap piece. Place all cut white cardstock pieces on a craft mat. The technique we are going to use on the piece is called ‘Acrylic & Alcohol Technique.’ Apply StazOn Blazing Red ink by the direct-to-paper technique to all pieces. Set pieces aside to dry. Note: Direct to paper just involves using your ink pad directly to paper. Next mix a 50/50 liquid acrylic in Primary Cyan color and water. Apply the mixture to the dry Azure inked base pieces. While the paint mixture is WET drip rubbing alcohol over the wet paint. You should see mottled background when the alcohol drips on the wet paint. Note: complete this step in small batches to ensure the paint doesn't dry. The image on the far right is the end results of the ‘Acrylic & Alcohol Technique.’
4. Arrange the strip is in the layout above. Cut a 3 inch circle out of old music sheet. Sponge the edges with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. Keep all scraps from the cutting. Fix the music circle to the center of the strip design. Mount the 2 x 3 technique card as indicated above. Note: The glitter gold piece is from my scrap pile. Stamp the sentiment with Memento Tuxedo Black onto cream cardstock and punch out with small tag. Apply a washi tape to one end of the tag. Sponge the edges with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.
5. Mount the main image to the journal page. Mount the tag as indicated above. Print and cut out a computer printed butterfly. Adhere to main image. Using the scape cardstock and punch out four butterflies. Adhere based on layout.Shade the main image and journal edges with a Black brush pen. Adhere clear sequins to the journal page.
Other: Paint brush, craft mat, water, black Sharpie, gold and blue acrylic paint, stencils (3), sequins, butterfly print, old music paper, glitter scrap paper, Martha Stewart butterfly punch and Black Pitt pen.